As you stretch in this pose, your body traces the smooth arc of a crescent moon (chandra). You will have to practice conscientiously, but when you finally balance without fear it is a feat to celebrate.
Steps to practice
- Begin with feet 1m (3ft) apart.
- Turn your left foot in slightly and your right foot out 90 degrees
- Bend your right knee and place your right hand on the floor, or a block, by your right foot.
- Shift your balance to your right foot and hand
- Straighten your right leg
- Lift your left leg
- Extend your left arm in the air
- Take a few breaths
- Lower your leg & repeat to the other side, then relax.
- Strengthens the abdomen, ankles, thighs, buttocks, and spine
- Stretches the groins, hamstrings and calves, shoulders, chest, and spine
- Improves coordination and sense of balance
- Helps relieve stress
- Improves digestion